Saturday, March 5, 2011

Just another Manic Saturday...

I'm in my bathrobe, fuzzy slippers on my feet, and I have a hot cuppa brewing on the counter.  It's also not quite 7am, DB is still sleeping, and I'm burning CD's like a madwoman.  Yup, it's Saturday, a Festival Day, at the Arizona Renaissance Festival!

It's the fourth weekend, Faery Weekend.  It's inconceivable that it's the fourth weekend already.  Inconceivable!  And before you say anything, dear Reader - I know I have at least one - I know what that word means.

Seriously, though, this post isn't about fuzzy slippers, tea, or how many weeks have passed since our cross country trip.  This isn't even a post about how frantic my mornings are.  This is a post about movies.  Yeah, you heard me, MOVIES!

Yesterday I saw two animated flicks that blew me away.  First was Rango.  This movie is amazing.  Don't believe me, read Mr. Ebert's review.  The movie is fantastic.  For those of you who don't like spoilers, trust me, I'm not posting any.  The voice acting was phenomenal.  The humour was more for the adults, but it wasn't raunchy. The animation was spectacular.  The music was amazing.  There was PLOT.  There was humour.  There was NO 3-D.  I had a fantastic time, as did the audience I saw it with based on the guffaws and laughter that filled theater.  This was a Good Time.

Last night I watched How to Train Your Dragon for the first time.  I had no idea what to expect, but I was thrilled that I was watching it in 2D. It was FUN.  It was more family friendly than Rango, and the music was superb.  The voice acting was a hoot.  Jay Baruchel, Gerard Butler, Craig Ferguson, America Ferrera and David Tennant! Christopher Mintz-Plasse was also great.  The dragons, a large part of the flick, were well done.  Again, you will find no spoilers here, but let me tell you that I am always a little worried about how dragons are portrayed (drawn, characterized & voiced) in films.  What can I say, I'm a big of a dragonphile.  No worries in this movie. Here's a review from EW when it first came out.  While I liked Rango a little more, How to Train Your Dragon will be moving onto my "Must Own & Watch with DB Often" list.  In addition, I'm going to find the books (either the audiobooks, which were voiced by Mr. Tennant, or the paper version) and read them.

If you like films, animated or not, I highly recommend both of these movies.

Happy Watching!
Love,
Mel

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

ADD (18) AZRF (6) bacon (1) Bandcamp (2) birh story (1) cooking (1) CrunchyMama (1) Daikini Baby (15) DB (2) family (1) fiddle (2) Firefly (1) Food (4) funnies (1) health (3) Holidays (1) intarwebs (1) JeWitch (4) Kickstarter (2) life (12) loss (1) love (1) meme (1) migraine (1) misc (3) movies (1) music (12) muumuu Friday (1) NeidFyre (25) obsessed (1) Owain (1) PARF (8) pirates (1) poetry (1) popculture (1) Random (10) Scotland (1) singing (1) tech (2) Time (1) travel (2) tumblr (2) tunes (1) TV (1) wk 1 (1) wk 2 (1) writing (8)