Saturday, January 9, 2010

Performing: Why I'm No Longer Afraid To Take Your Money!

I've been thinking  a lot lately about Money, and being a Performer.  Happily most of my gigs are paid these days, but I still do free shows, and I still busk.  I'm what you would call the "soft sell" type. I have a tip jar (or an empty fiddle case or a hat depending on where I'm busking) and I ask folks to toss in a dollar or more depending on how much they enjoyed my show. I've never been a fan of the hard sell.  Sometimes I'm successful, sometimes I'm not, but I never feel like I'm forcing myself on my fans.  


I love connecting with people. I love playing a tune or singing a song and watching the audience, old and young, react. I've made people laugh, cry, and even scared a few.  It's an amazing rush, and I LOVE what I do.  For the first time, I really LOVE and ADORE what I do. All things being equal, this life doesn't always pay the bills or put food on the table.  Almost everything in this world has a price, and like the rest of this  country, I'd like to have a bit more in my wallet.


Last September Amanda Palmer talked about this in the now famous blog post "Why I Am Not Afraid To Take Your Money" Take a read. Really hear what she has to say.  I think she's hit the nail on the head with this.


I am a Musician and Performer (neidfyre.com). I run with sissors. I live an unconventional life, and I'm so much happier for it. Jane Smith and John Doe get dressed to the nines, work their desk job and get a paycheck with benefits. My job doesn't offer benefits. I don't have the luxury of a weekly or bi-weekly paycheck.  I work hard for every show/gig/performance, regardless of the size of the audience and venue. I go out there and give each show my best.


Two years ago I went on the road (away from home for an extended time) for the first time. I drove to Texas with my dog and we lived in a tent for 7 weeks.  I worked a small faire and met amazing people, many of whom I'm still in touch with.  Later that year I drove to Wisconsin and Minnesota for shows. My "local" weekend shows took me to Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania.   I wore funny costumes, sang songs, played tunes, and tried to sell as many CD's as I could.  I met some incredible people on the journey. All the while, I may have broken even, and more than likely I lost money.  I didn't feel comfortable asking for help, so I didn't.  I tried to do it mostly on my own because that's what I thought I had to do.


We're now in the baby steps of 2010.  My life has changed a lot in the last 2 years. I'm now a musician, performer  teacher full time and I have a 9-mos old baby.  My darling Daikini Baby (DB) was born March 27, 2009.  I took most of last year easy and didn't do as much traveling on the road due to the pregnancy, but 2010 is starting with a bang!  DB and I are leaving for Arizona January 29, 2010 and will be there for 2 months working the Arizona Renaissance Festival.  I'm just not sure how exactly we're going to get there.


We're outfitting Serenity (my '92 Plymouth Voygager) for the trip, but gas and food are expensive.  I put the call out to you, my friends and my fans, because we need some help.  This weekend I'll be putting together a limited run CD (150 copies) called NeidFyre's Favorites.  I'll be taking my favourite tracks from all of my CD's to make this compilation.  The CD will cost $7.00 (includes shipping/handling/taxes) and will be available January 11 - January 28.  Each CD will also be signed and numbered.  If you want to know what my favourite tunes are, buy this CD. If you want to introduce my music to friends, buy this CD. If you want to wallpaper your livingroom, buy MANY COPIES of this CD. ;>  If you've enjoyed my shows, and enjoy the music I make, please think about pressing the donation button below. If you would like to help and don't want a CD, feel free to press the donation button below.


Thank you all for reading.  Thank you all for being a part of my life.  I look forward to seeing many of you on my travels in 2010 and beyond.


With love,


Mel
With thanks to Amanda Fucking Palmer for giving me the courage to no longer be afraid




Looking to buy one of my CD's? Want to purchase the new compilation CD "NeidFyre's Favourites" Do you just want to donate to the cause?  


Please go to NeidFyre.com/DONATE  


At the bottom of the page is a DONATE button.  Please fill out the Purpose line with "Donation" or "NeidFyre's Favourites" so I know if I'm sending you a CD!


Much love and thanks, 
Mel 

2 comments:

  1. Are all these songs on your other 4 albums, or is there stuff on this one that's not on the others? If it's all stuff that's already on the others, I'll just throw some cash your way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hel, Favourites is comprised of my favourite songs and tunes from all 4 CD's. You'll be wanting to get the NEW cd Anatidaephobia, as that's all new material!

    Link for the new CD: http://neidfyre.com/products.html

    ReplyDelete

Labels

ADD (18) AZRF (6) bacon (1) Bandcamp (2) birh story (1) cooking (1) CrunchyMama (1) Daikini Baby (15) DB (2) family (1) fiddle (2) Firefly (1) Food (4) funnies (1) health (3) Holidays (1) intarwebs (1) JeWitch (4) Kickstarter (2) life (12) loss (1) love (1) meme (1) migraine (1) misc (3) movies (1) music (12) muumuu Friday (1) NeidFyre (25) obsessed (1) Owain (1) PARF (8) pirates (1) poetry (1) popculture (1) Random (10) Scotland (1) singing (1) tech (2) Time (1) travel (2) tumblr (2) tunes (1) TV (1) wk 1 (1) wk 2 (1) writing (8)